Sunday, February 10, 2008

definition by contrast


> Today….

Was a chilly and breezy Sunday morning… went to mass then hang out with some friends at IHOP (international house of pancakes) to grab some brunch. Some chitchats this and that. Then I went home at 3 pm.

Right after I got home I went to the kitchen to get me a glass of water from the fridge… and guess what I noticed? The dried trees beneath my window slightly covered with white. Hallelujah… at long last the heavens again poured out its white… though again conservatively and I would still wait till tonight if it’ll be generous of its pouring.

Most of these days has been sunny days but chilly. Sometimes I could see the tip of the trees or plans with some signs of life again as if spring would by pass winter this time. I wonder if this is all part of the change of weather… and the global warming stuff.

_________________________________________________________

But one thing caught my attention from the sight I had witnessed …the tree highlighted with the snow … must be a good one to draw … I said to myself a good one to experiment a new medium. And perhaps a good write will do

In comparison ….

The light colors highlight the darkness and emphasizes the solid form of a matter. For if it was only the dark pigment then it would only be a dull subject.

What defines light? Is it the light itself or is it the presence of shade? And vise versa…What defines the shade? Is it the shade in itself or is it the presence of light?

Can a white be white if there is not the contrast of black? And the same is asked the other way around can a black be black if there is no ivory but alone ebony?

I think the contour of each of the above is intensified by the presence of the other.

Exactly my next question would be? Can we say that a day would be tiring if there is no night to rest and refresh our vitality? And can we sleep throughout the night if there is no active day to go through...all but darkness… can we still call it a calm one if no tiring and noisy day to compare with.

Do we know what the difference if we don’t have a basis of comparison? Of our lives compared to others or that we might have lived or we might have become?

Complimentary leading to a conclusion…..

Like life the light and shade compliment each other with the way we live. A life illustrated with just the shade is a miserable and grim one…. And a life illuminated by too much light does not show the real image and its form…in both ways the vision is impaired… the appreciation is not authentic in the veracity of the essence of things… of people… of this thing we call… life.

Good Sunday…….

Copyright Symbol 2006
jbaltazar.

16 comments:

Diana Evans said...

Hi Anto....

nice read today...I love your thoughtful way of writing...and inspiriation....

Today it was very cold here too...and the wind...yikes...very chilly ...

It sounds like you had a lovely morning at church and at brunch with friends....

that sketch is wonderful and I love your thoughts on the whole black and white and life thoughts...

Have a wonderful evening...

Cheers...
Diana

BBC said...

It was pretty decent here. I worked on the camp trailer a bit. Took Helen to do her monthly grocery shopping for her.

By that I mean that she waddles into the store with her walker to pick out the cat food she wants and then she sits in it while I go get everything else.

Not that she really cares what I get because I cook all her meals and take them to her anyway.

You went to mass? *Rolls eyes* At one time I was a trustee in a church, screw those thieves.

Not to mention that the crap they preach insults my intelligence.

White/black, whatever, it isn't a white and black world, don't forget the other colors.

And never forget this, it may be the most important wisdom I can ever give you.

Honor all of your emotions.

foam said...

it was wonderfully breezy here too.
..and very cold ..
the light was almost blinding ..
and i knew it was just snowing somewhere.. :)

DeLi said...

truly a great read..i love taht i started with this insightful reading this monday....i had a lovely reflections of weeeknd with the tree, as i brought along nic ebook for reading and meeting friends.....

citizen of the world said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I love the way trees look when they are silvered with ice or have a loayer of snow along the top of each branch.

zirelda said...

What a beautiful post. :) It's a continuing lesson I try to give Rach. Without one we cannot appreciate the other.

And since I am a glass artist, I think well in contrast.

Also a very very nice sketch. I love bare trees. Such definition!

My World said...

Hello Lady Anto,
Sounds like you had a great Sunday
with good friends...

Becareful, IHOP can keep you in the gym, more than two days a week.

I love the way you put your visual
experiences to writing. It's almost like a photographer's approach... to a final photo.

I added the music in the form I have ( long list ) for all to choose and listen to more than one,
as you view the photos posted..

Well enough of my nonsense for now.... lol

Peace Anto,

William....

PS, bbc, you are something.. lol

Michael said...

Thanks for visiting!

With tonights snow, we here in the Madison/Watertown, Wisconsin area will have passed the previous record of 76.5 inches set in 1978/79. I will be more than happy once it's Spring...

Fantastic texture in your piece. Great work...

paintblack said...

anto Ce dessin va droit au but, sans manière, superbe...
A la question qu'est ce que la beauté? nous pourrions répondre la vérité, simplement la vérité.
Vos interrogations métaphysiques sur la nature, votre questionnement sur qui fait quoi m'incites à revoir le début du film The Thin Red Line de Terrence Malick ça parle de ça: du (des) paradis perdus.
C'est un plaisir de vous connaitre.

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

Wonderful picture!

Also an excellent point about contrast.

How do we know said...

why is the copyright 2006?? Just curious..

raindog said...

very interesting blog. love all the illustrations and writing.

thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Lorêny Portugal said...

I adored your text and the contrast between the shadow and the light, the ivory and ebony...

Have patience, my dear... I'll tell you soon. My father is not with good health and I have to take care him....

Kisses...

Piercing The Veil said...

@ D tnx for a wonderful comment...
I sure did last sunday... tnx for always paying me a visit i am glad for friends like you religiously come ...did not have time to go around for awhile i hope i can do so tomorrow.

@ Bbc glad to here you are keeping bc in time for spring... i wll still look forward for your visit and post something that will piss you off (laughs...)...

of course I do go to mass ...it is not the people who i pray to... never mind them (laughing...)

tnx for your sincere advice... shall we thank your monkeys????

@ foam...cool chilly sunday for you too eh? tnx for dropping by ...hugs

@deli glad to hear you started it with your creative atmosphere... hope to see from you soon.

@ citizens..sure it is... amazing to see the wonders of season could bring ...the scene...the temperature and all...tnx for the visit

ls

Piercing The Veil said...

@ Zirelda... I am very happy you like my posts... and that you can relate to the contrast in line with your life and work...tnx for a great one. Bare trees more expressive than those with greens (i think)

@ my world ... true ...remeber both of our passions are art only we have differnt medium. If you love something you can relate it to almost anything...good night william

sure is... bbc is something hehehe

@michael wooh...really what a fall....
tnx for your comment i really appreciate it

@ paintblack what beauty lies in a creation is in each of our appreciation... and for the love of art we can do almost anything our heart yearns to create...thanks for your appreciation and a discerning eye... thin red line...hmm i must watch that..merci

Piercing The Veil said...

@whimsical tnx a lot ... we need certain kind of contrast to streess out the definition or one may defne by elimination and congratulations for your awards... you deserve it

@ how do we know -me too i wonder why 2006 came out from the code I embeded from the copyright website... maybe because its free? well ill try to get a paid copyright one

@raindog thnx too and you are welcome... i hope to visit your blog again soon
@ loreny my friend nice to see you again... i hop everything will be allright for your dad just dont lose faith...

_________________________

tnx a lot people for your comments a pick a lot from alll of you

anto