Thursday, February 7, 2008

L'Age Cassant



(I have experimented another medium... compressed chalk pastel)
by: Rene' Char

Ju suis ne’ comme le rocher, avec mes blessures.

I’ai de naissance la respiration aggressive





Translated by: Mary Ann Caws

I was born like a rock, with my wounds.

From birth I have had an aggressive breathing.


___________________________________________________________


A person’s courage is innate… one not only acquires the attributes he has thru experience and interaction but thru birth.

And latter on imbued with these attributes as if part of one self …. tantamount as the oxygen we have partaken from the cord our mothers shared with us inside their wombs and of the first air that was inhaled … as soon as the lungs begun to function.

We think that we don’t have the guts to face trials ahead and to confront the long but narrow road we call life but then again little do we know that there is this certain potential force that runs in our veins like the verloin blood.

Of who we are … we are not made as we age but we were born to be who we are. The only differences would lie on the choice of whether to manifest these innate qualities we have through our convictions or we divert it to some other way.

Earlier I had made a comment about a post of Journeytime one of the blogs I usually visit and I was delighted with my comment that I did not want to let it pass without sharing my thought. It was about a response to his post entitled “The Persistence of Memory” and the main guise of my response was about the courage of letting go … and my thought goes: ( only an excerpt of the whole… just as those in connection with my post)



“Being stuck in a barb (wire) we must make a decision either... to have courage to pull the fangs of the barb deep within our skin... see our very skin bleed hence momentarily grief...
OR
manifest cowardice just as to let the barb be pegged deep within our skin but forever be in pain…
… like a tooth ache which we procrastinate to leave it to the pliers of the dentist...

Letting go ...is hard and painful but it is better than to hold on but be resentful.

Hard as it is to use a great part of our subconscious mind for it is a higher form of intelligence than the usual and true it takes a lot of trial and error ...but then again no one leads to perfection because it always yields to a perfect circle not a straight line”


Nota Bene:
Rene Char is a modern French poet. He was known for his profound poetic philosophy , most of it was his aphorisms. Aphorism like the French phrase above is a concise set of words leading into a thought and resolved with such tension unlike a poem or an essay which may be a bit lengthy expounding more the flow of thoughts.

Char is a surrealist which later on became a hero of French resistance. He is a good friend to some of the known artists… the likes of Braque, Giacometti and Picasso.
____________________________
I hopee the wind has blown away the ashes of the painful memories...


Kung Hei Fatchoy
Happy Chinese New Year

19 comments:

Diana Evans said...

what a lovely work of art and what a great read...love the comment about being stuck in a barb wire...and being strong enough to make the decision you have to make...

Life is a wonder and I too believe we are born to be who we are...

Have a wonderful night Anto...

Cheers,
Diana

foam said...

the persistance of memory can be a curse or a blessing. the fragmentation of memory can also be a curse or a blessing..
sometimes it takes a lot of courage to deal with painful memories.

ps: i love chalk pastel..

ipanema said...

i'll come back to post a comment. can't sit here long, have to go somewhere.

thanks for the visit.

Gong Xi Fa Cai! :)

mapiprincesa! said...

Good morning:

So apropos; your post here speaks greatly to me. This is my first time visiting you, I will be back if I may.

The artwork is likewise stunning, and the ambiance and music very calming. Thank you for such a lovely start to my day.

Be well, Piercing.

BBC said...

Hey, are you trying to make me think? Because I think I have it figured out pretty well.

My best piece of art.
Art

BBC said...

I do not believe we are born to be who we are. We are born and then we become whatever it is that we become.

I won't discount some cosmic karma or action trying to interact with it but the cosmos doesn't always get it's way.

If it did (get its way)this would be a more peaceful and loving world.

Josh (musarter) said...

I now see why you were interested in "Blanket" piece. This is an interesting read and though I am an artist, and love the beautiful imagery, I still beleive in a mix of Nature and Nurture. Painful memories can shape us but they do not necessarily define us.

That is my two cents.

Forever Young said...

i really like this work...happy chinese new year from this rat!

zirelda said...

Very nice. :)

paintblack said...

"Les yeux seuls sont encore capables de pousser un cri."

C'est l'arbre de la connaissance, votre arbre est seul, tordus, mais debout. J'aime votre façon instinctive de dessiner, quelque soit la technique c'est vous qui prenez le dessus...

j'aime Char à tel point que j'essaie tous les jours de faire un aphorisme.

à très bientôt Anto, c'est un vrai plaisir de vous connaitre. Je vais relire "l'Age Cassant"

Diana Evans said...

Hi Anto...(is it ok if I call you that...or do you prefer another name...I just caught that from one of your posts...

thanks for popping by and leaving the comment...I wish you a wonderful weekend...

Cheers,
Diana

BBC said...

I agree, there are plenty of guilty men also that live high in style.

But remember, I live in the west, and grew up poor with people that lived through the great depression.

We are just thankful for what we have and desire no more.

DeLi said...

kung hei fat choi too PV!

i am currently soring pieces of my memory. chunking some bits that i need to put out from heart for a while.....

Piercing The Veil said...

@ dian evans tnx ... yes it was just a response to a post too ... but the content of the comment was mine... have a blessed weekend hugs...

@ foam indeed your foaming is correct there are a lot of things which could be viewed in the positive or the negative it only matters on how one sees it and deal with it either a curse or a blessing... im sure you'll have a lot of foaming done thei weekend... enjoy

@ipanema ...tnx for dropping by see you and have a nice trip

@bbc... somehow somethings are written in the stars which are bound to to happen whether we like it or not ...
no matter how we avoid it ... but it always helps to look afar and to look after oneself and not rely on cosmic karma...
what i meant was a combination of those... of who we are are summation of our innate state by birth... by experiences and interaction not by birth alone...
good thought though... have a good weekend there

@mapipirncesa tnx for passing by and for commenting.. i am glad you liked the art...

@ josh ... exactly ... it is a combination and summation of nature and nurture that is why I used the "NOT ONLY" words....
and you are right we learn from pain but should not dwell on it as if a part of us....

@forever thnx and for you my rat friend I wish you the best hugs

@zirelda ...tnx it is my pleasure to have shared you something

@paint black indeed the eyes are expressive and it can depict a lot of emotion more than the face...

yes the tree in the design although with a lot of pain still stands up with courage

... i really like your observation very nice....

and with respect to my technic ...well i do not have ... i do just what i know and what i feel to do with the strokes....but still i would want to learn more..it is only now i discovered that there is more to learn in making art...

anto

Piercing The Veil said...

@ deli go on sort it all out just pick out those worth keeping and those which are not ponder for a while... learn from it and move on and let go

@ BBC yeah i thought it so too ...but generally you are right ... looking at the nature of men and women... was just making a point no biggie bbc ...

i appreciate the simplicity and pureness of living ...too much complexity is not good...

tnx for dropping by again

anto

Piercing The Veil said...

@dian by al means dian you can call me anto... my friend do call me that and you are my friend ergo i am anto

happy weekend

Diana Evans said...

Hi Anto...nice to hear from you....

I am having a lovely weekend...creating things...and enjoying family...

I love popping by to see what's new with you...

Have a wonderful weekend...

Cheers,
Diana

derick said...

piercing the veil
bravo!!!!
thanks for the mention
take care

suzanne said...

I've enjoyed reading your lists of likes on your sidebar. Seems like we "like" the same things!